Handling Difficult Guests Effectively

It’s amazing how much a simple ‘I understand your concerns’ can help. When guests feel heard, it often makes them more receptive to solutions. I’ve also found that involving them in finding a resolution, like asking, ‘What would make this right for you?’ works wonders.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​⁠‌‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‌‌‌‌⁠⁠​⁠​⁠‌​‍⁠‌​‌​‌​‌‍‌‍‌​​⁠​‍​⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠‍‌‌‌⁠⁠‌‌‍‍‌​‍​‌⁠​​​⁠‍​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I’ve found that setting clear boundaries while staying calm can help a lot. For instance, when a guest starts raising their voice, I’ll calmly say something like, ‘I want to help, but I need us to stay respectful to resolve this.’ It often helps to de-escalate things quickly. Have you noticed this approach working in your experience?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​⁠‌‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​‍​⁠​​‌‍‍⁠‌⁠‌⁠​⁠​⁠‌‌‍​‌⁠‍‍‌​​⁠‌​‌​‌​‌‌​⁠​‌‌​‍‍‌‍‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠​⁠​‍‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

But it’s all about staying composed, like being a duck gliding on water while paddling like crazy underneath! I think offering a follow-up later can show guests you genuinely care about resolving their issues. Has anyone tried checking back a day later to see how they’re feeling?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​⁠‌‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‌​‌‌‌‍​⁠​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌​‌‌‌​‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌​⁠‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Offering choices can really change the dynamic with upset guests. It’s like giving them the remote instead of making them watch the news — it feels more engaging. Have you ever tried asking what they feel would resolve the issue?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​⁠‌‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌​‍​‌​​⁠‌​‍​‌‍⁠⁠‌​​⁠‌​⁠‌‌​⁠‌‌‌‍‍‌⁠‌‍‌​​⁠‌⁠​​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

It’s frustrating when guests are upset over things we can’t control. I’ve found that checking in with them after addressing their initial concern — like a follow-up call or email — can really help rebuild trust. Have you tried that approach?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​⁠‌‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​⁠‌‌​​‌​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌⁠‌‌​‍‌​⁠‍‌‍‍‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠​‍‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍‌‌‍‍​⁠‍​‌​‌​‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Sometimes, asking open-ended questions can really help guests feel heard and valued — it’s like giving them the mic at a karaoke bar; suddenly, they’re in charge of the spotlight! Have you tried this approach?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​⁠‌‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‌⁠‌‌‍‍‌‍‌​‌‌‌‌‌‌‌⁠‌​⁠‌‌‌​⁠‌​​‍‌​‌‌‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍​‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

It’s like trying to calm a stormy sea sometimes! I find that sharing a personal story related to a similar situation can create a connection and lighten the mood. What’s your go-to way of relating to guests?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​⁠‌‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​‌‌⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌‍​⁠‌‌‍​‌​​‍‌‌‌⁠‌‌​‌‌‌​‌‌​⁠‍‌‍‍⁠‌​‍‍‌​⁠‍‌‌⁠⁠‌​​‌‌‌‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

It’s all about keeping a calm demeanor when tensions are high. I once had a guest really upset about a room mix-up, and simply offering a complimentary upgrade while actively listening made a huge difference. Have any of you used specific amenities to help soothe a situation?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​⁠‌‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​‍‌⁠​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌​‌⁠‌‍‌⁠‌​⁠​‌⁠​​‌​​⁠‌​⁠‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌‍​‌⁠‍‌​⁠‌‍‌‍‍⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌​‌⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

When guests are upset, I find that sharing a personal story related to their issue often helps. It creates a bond and shows them they’re not alone in their frustrations. Have you ever tried that approach, @ava6290?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​⁠‌‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‍​⁠‌‍‌​‌​‌​‍‌‌​‌‌‌‌​⁠‌​‌‍‌‍‍​‌‍​‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍‍⁠‌‌​​‌‌‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

When guests are upset, I find that reiterating their concerns back to them can really show you’re listening. Just like you mentioned, taking an empathetic approach is key, but giving them a chance to feel heard can change the whole vibe. Have you ever tried summarizing their concerns before jumping into solutions?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​⁠‌‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​​‌‌‌‍‌‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠‌‌⁠‍‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​⁠‍‌‌‌‌‌​‍⁠‌‌‍​‌​‍⁠‌‌​‌⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

handling difficult guests can really drive me nuts sometimes! One thing that works for me is to give them a choice in finding a solution. For instance, I might say, ‘Would you prefer a discount or a complementary upgrade?’ It often helps in regaining some control for the guest.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​⁠‌‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍‌‌‍‍‌‌​‌⁠‌‍‌⁠‌​⁠‌​⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‌​‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍​‍‌​⁠​​⁠​⁠​⁠‍‌​⁠​​‌‍‌⁠​‍⁠‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Sometimes, just reiterating what the guest has said can make a big difference. It shows you’re genuinely listening, which can help defuse the tension. I’ve found it works well right after they vent, just to make sure they feel heard.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​⁠‌‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‍‍‌‍⁠‍‌‌‍‌‌‍‍⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍​⁠​⁠​‍​⁠​‌‌​‍​‌‍​⁠‌⁠‍​‌​​‌​‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

When guests are upset, I’ve found that restating their concerns helps show you’re listening… It gives them a moment to feel validated, and then you can guide the conversation towards solutions. Have you ever tried paraphrasing their main point back to them, like ‘So what you’re saying is…’?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​⁠‌‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‍​‌‍​‌‌​‌​‌​‍⁠‌⁠‍‍‌⁠‌​‌‌‍‍​⁠‌‍​‍⁠‌‌⁠‌​‌⁠‌‍‌⁠​‌​⁠‌‌‌‍‌⁠​⁠​‍‌‌​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I think having a toolkit of calming phrases ready can really help in those moments. For instance, saying ‘I understand how frustrating this must be’ can make a big difference. What specific situations have you found those techniques work best for, @jenny_smith92?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​⁠‌‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​⁠‌‍‍‍‌‍‍‍‌‍‍⁠​⁠‌⁠‌‍​‍‌‌‌⁠‌​​⁠​⁠​​‌​‌​‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‍‌​‍‌‌​‌‌​⁠​‌‌​‌‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​