2026-05-04 – Weekly Front Desk News : Mistaking a guest for a statue

Last week’s discussions on the forum were diverse and engaging, touching on both practical and humorous aspects of front desk operations. Members shared strategies for managing high-stress situations, such as dealing with demanding clients and accommodating unusual guest requests. There was also a lively conversation about using technology to enhance the personal touch in check-ins. Meanwhile, lighter topics like amusing guest interactions offered some much-needed comic relief.


This Week’s Hot Topics

Enhancing Guest Experiences at Our Hotel
This thread explores innovative ways to exceed guest expectations and create memorable stays. It’s a great read for those looking to elevate their service game.
Read more here

Making Check-Ins Personal with Technology
Members are discussing how tech can be used to add a personal touch to the check-in process. This conversation is key for those integrating digital tools.
Read more here

Managing Stressful Pet Visits
Handling pets at the front desk can be tricky. This discussion shares tips for making these interactions smoother for both staff and pet owners.
Read more here

When Clients Think We’re Magic Wands
A humorous look at the unrealistic expectations clients sometimes have, and how to manage these situations effectively.
Read more here

Community Event Registration Reminder
A timely reminder about an upcoming community event that could be beneficial for networking and professional development.
Read more here

The Day We Mistook the Guest for a Statue
A lighthearted story that highlights the unexpected and funny moments that can occur at the front desk.
Read more here

The Most Unusual Check-In Request I’ve Had
This thread is a collection of bizarre and intriguing check-in requests, showcasing the unique challenges front desk staff face.
Read more here

Improving Employee Scheduling and Training
A practical discussion on optimizing staff schedules and training processes to boost efficiency and job satisfaction.
Read more here

Lost Keys and a Surprise Dance Party
An entertaining recount of how a lost key incident turned into an impromptu celebration, reflecting the unpredictable nature of front desk work.
Read more here

Ensuring Smooth Check-Ins During Busy Hours
Strategies and tips shared here focus on maintaining a seamless check-in experience during peak times, which is vital for guest satisfaction.
Read more here


Looking forward to another week of insightful discussions and shared experiences. Keep up the great work!

1 Like

I once mistook a guest for a statue too, at an event! It’s surprising how still some people can be when they’re deep in thought. I’ve found that a friendly approach — like asking if they need help while subtly checking if they’re okay — can break the ice without making them feel awkward.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍​‌​⁠⁠‌‌‍‌‌​⁠⁠​⁠​‌‌​⁠⁠‌‍​‍‌⁠‍‍​⁠‌​‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​⁠‌‌​⁠‌‍‌⁠‌‌​‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I’ve had my fair share of mix-ups too! Once, I complimented a ‘statue’ in our lobby, only to get a startled look in return. A friendly approach works wonders, but a little humor can lighten the mood — maybe try saying, ‘You’d make a great statue if you ever want a break from the front desk!’ @ava6290, have you found a good icebreaker for those quiet moments?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌​‌‌‌​⁠‌‌‍‌​‌‌‍​‌⁠​⁠‌​​‍‌​‌‍‌‍⁠​​⁠​​​⁠‍​‌‌​‍‌⁠‌​‌‌‌⁠‌​‌⁠‌‍​‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I once had a guest standing so still that I thought they were trying to blend in with our art display! It reminded me to always approach guests with a warm smile and a simple ‘How can I help you today?’ to avoid any awkward surprises. As you mentioned about using technology to enhance personal touches, I’ve found a quick check-in via our app can also break the ice while ensuring we stay engaged.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​​​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠‌‌‌‍​‌​⁠‍‌‍‍⁠‌​⁠‍‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​⁠‌‍‌​⁠​‌‍⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠​‌​‌​‌​‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​